Melville Water Polo Club is Australia's oldest and most successful club in Western Australia. Our club is located on the Swan River, at Blackwall Reach Parade, Bicton, Western Australia.
Melville Water Polo Club was established in 1946. It was one of six clubs that completed the inaugural Water Polo competition that commenced in Western Australia in 1946. Players for each competing team were drawn from their respective swimming clubs.
Club Pool and Premises
The specific design and location of the pool makes the Melville Water Polo Club pool is one of the best in the world. The pool was specifically built for water polo by the members and supporters of the Club, funded through the Club's own resources, donations and financial contributions from the Club's Foundation Members.
The pool and facilities were completed in 1979 and officially opened in 1980. Subsequent improvements to the facilities have been made, including the addition of the first floor Club function rooms and more recently, the refurbished change rooms.
The premises' of the Club is held on a long-term lease from Melville City Council
The key areas of our Club's operations are:
- Pool and facilities maintenance
- Junior Development and Competition
- National League Water Polo
- General Administration - including Registrations, Finance
- Communications and Promotions
Melville is a family club. It has two distinct areas of focus - social water polo and elite water polo.
We would not and could not exist without our members supports.
Many members have been actively involved with the Club for more than 20 years.
We have generations of families involved in the club. It is fairly common to see grandparents with their children and grandchildren down the pool, whether it be for training, a BBQ, or both! Our members are always invited to come to the pool for training or a swim, followed by a BBQ.
The Club really is a picturesque and beautiful place to go and relax and enjoy over summer, with spectacular views and sunsets.
Our hope is that all our members enjoy being at the pool and be part of Melville Water Polo Club.
Follow Melville Water Polo Club on Facebook
- Player Development - To develop and support our club members to be the best water polo players they can be.
- Facilities - To have world class facilities for the benefit of our members and Western Australian water polo.
- Club Culture - To have a culture at the club that is welcoming, family oriented and supportive for our members
- To be members of, abide by the rules of, and support, Australian and WA Water Polo as the governing associations.